Student Loans for International Students in the USA

Studying in the United States can be a dream come true for many international students. But financing your education in a foreign country can be challenging, especially when you don’t have a cosigner. This article provides valuable information on student loans for international students in the USA without a cosigner, how to apply for them, and the best options available. So, if you’re an international student planning to study in the USA, this guide is for you.

Understanding the Importance of a Cosigner

Usually, a cosigner is a US citizen or permanent resident who agrees to take responsibility for your loan if you fail to repay it. Having a cosigner can increase your chances of getting approved for a loan, as they provide additional assurance to the lender. However, not everyone has a cosigner, and that’s where the need for student loans without a cosigner comes into play.

Federal Student Aid for International Students

Federal student aid is primarily available for US citizens and eligible non-citizens. Unfortunately, most international students do not qualify for these programs. There is, however, one exception: the Fulbright Program. This prestigious scholarship program is open to international students and provides funding for tuition, living expenses, and more. To apply, visit the Fulbright Program’s official website.

Private Student Loans Without a Cosigner

While federal aid may not be an option, you still have access to private student loans without a cosigner. Here are some options worth considering (3 Best Student Loans Without a Co-Signer):

A. MPOWER Financing

MPOWER Financing offers loans specifically designed for international students studying in the USA without a cosigner. They provide up to $50,000 in loans per academic year, depending on your school and program. To qualify, you must be within two years of graduating and attending a school that MPOWER supports. Visit their website to check your eligibility and learn more about their loan terms.

B. Prodigy Finance

Prodigy Finance is another lender that caters to international students without a cosigner. They focus on offering loans to students pursuing postgraduate degrees, such as MBA, law, public policy, and engineering programs. Prodigy Finance considers factors like your future earning potential and program ranking when approving loans. Visit their website for more details and to apply.

C. Stilt

Stilt is a financial platform that provides personal loans to immigrants and international students in the USA without a cosigner. Although not specifically a student loan provider, you can use Stilt’s personal loans to cover your education expenses. They offer loans ranging from $1,000 to $35,000, and you can apply online through their website.

Scholarships and Grants for International Students

Scholarships and grants are an excellent way to fund your education, as they do not need to be repaid. Many universities and organizations offer financial aid specifically for international students. Here are some resources to help you find scholarships and grants:

A. EducationUSA

EducationUSA is a network of hundreds of advising centers around the world, sponsored by the US Department of State. They provide resources and guidance to help you find scholarships and other financial aid options. Visit the EducationUSA website to locate an advising center near you.

B. Institute of International Education (IIE)

The IIE is a nonprofit organization that provides a comprehensive database of scholarships, fellowships, and grants for international students. Visit their website to explore various funding opportunities.

C. Your Prospective University

Many universities offer scholarships and grants for international students. Contact the financial aid office of the universities you are interested in attending to learn about available opportunities and application requirements.

Work-Study Programs for International Students

Work-study programs offer part-time employment opportunities to students, allowing them to earn money while studying. International students with an F-1 visa are eligible for on-campus work-study programs. Typically, you can work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and up to 40 hours per week during breaks. To learn more about on-campus work opportunities, contact your university’s international student office.

Alternative Funding Options

If traditional loans and scholarships don’t cover your expenses, you can explore alternative funding options:

A. Crowdfunding

Crowdfunding platforms like GoFundMe and Kickstarter allow you to raise money for your education by sharing your story and goals with a wide audience. Friends, family, and even strangers can contribute to your campaign, helping you achieve your dreams.

B. Home Country Funding

Some countries provide financial aid to students pursuing higher education abroad. Research government-funded scholarships or loans available in your home country to help cover your expenses in the USA.

C. Part-Time Jobs

While balancing work and study can be challenging, a part-time job can help you cover your living expenses. International students with an F-1 visa can work off-campus after completing their first academic year through programs like Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT).


Finding a student loan for international students in the USA without a cosigner can be challenging, but it’s not impossible. By exploring private student loans, scholarships, grants, work-study programs, and alternative funding options, you can secure the necessary funds to pursue your education in the United States. Remember to start your search early and reach out to your prospective university’s financial aid office for additional guidance and resources. With determination and persistence, you can make your dreams of studying in the USA a reality.

Share This


Wordpress (0)